Clarkstown Reformed Church
The Clarkstown Reformed Church was built on Strawtown Road in 1871.
At one point the church was the strongest in the county. People traveled to this church by foot, horseback, or wagon
from Piermont to Haverstraw and even as far as Monsey. The services were in Dutch first and then in English every
other Sunday. The congregation was established in 1750 as the First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of New Hempstead
in a temporary log cabin on Germonds Road. The cabin was replaced by a sandstone church in 1826 and was used until
the completion of the church on Strawtown Road.
historic photo/drawing of site